Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Goodbye, 106 East College Street

I got the phone call today, and it kind of surprised me for a minute. It was from Cory Williams, who I worked with at WDKN from 1995-1998. He wanted to ask me what was going on at the station. I had to think for a minute, as I hadn’t been employed there since March of 2009. Then, it occurred to me. Many have asked me over the past few weeks about the station’s decision to move from the current location at 106 East College Street to the other side of Main Street.

OK...Before I get underway with this, I know that it’s common knowledge that after the closing of the station under the former owners three years ago, I fell into a deep depression. There, I’ve said that. But, in 2012 – the station has done well without me...and likewise. They have made a lot of great decisions since then, and they’ve got a good staff.

But, this isn’t about now. This is about then. The moving of the station has made me feel a little bit nostalgic. And, though a few of you might be saying “Here we go again,” I feel that there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s a part of my past, and still a part of me.

I remember when I first walked into the station in the spring of 1991. It was under the guise of an Explorer Post – an off shoot of the Boy Scouts. Many people from High School met for a few weeks to learn about radio. The post didn’t last, but two of us, James Garton and myself, kept coming back and badgering the staff there until we both had jobs. I remember sitting in Jackie Rhodes’ office for my job interview. I was wearing shorts. I was told not to do that much....though she didn’t patrol that much. I have to say that if it weren’t for Jackie, maybe I would have still found my way to do what I do now, but I still owe it to her.

So many memories of that building. James Garton and I playing soccer in the hallway during Cougars games. Sitting and hearing the wit and wisdom of the station’s PD, Gordon Rhodes. I can’t quote everything...but I did learn a valuable career lesson from him – don’t sweat it. You need to take your job seriously, but there are some nights that it’s just not going to be your day. And, that is true. I remember Marcia Campbell coming into my half-office back in 1995 wanting to start a Bluegrass show. She’s done quite well for herself, I would say, as the nighttime host at WSM. Kristy Owings, one of the best friends I have ever had. A lot of laughs took place when the mic was turned off....the phone call....she knows who it wasn’t!

In 1996, I remember this guy from Arkansas coming into the station for the first time. Since then, I don’t know if there is a better example of how to conduct yourself as a professional than Ken Loggains. Class doesn’t even come close to describing him. Joe Webster. Jim Hudson. Warren Medley. Randy Tidwell, The “Mayors,” “The Rat Pack,” “Big D and The Dickson Mafia,” the memories are still there and a huge part of me.

There are several other memories there that I keep to myself. My first kiss took place right there, at 106 East College Street. I’m not alone in that. I’m sure if you asked anyone who worked there from 1991-2009, there would be a few memories that they won’t divulge. It was a place where I grew up – and I cherish each and every year I had at that building – even with the cords hanging from the wall.

I hope nobody gets the wrong idea about this. I’m not waxing melancholy about change. I wish the station nothing but success. The last person I hired is still there, and so is Warren Medley. People like Robert Freeman and Dale Turner are doing a great job making the station work. I have no idea how history will record any of us that worked there at 106 East College Street – and I’m more concerned with making the future better than living in the past.....but it was a great time in a lot of people’s lives. I just wonder if the “Ghosts” upstairs – who always seemed to prowl around between 5am and 6:30 are still there......